Monday 17 January 2011

Hello World!

When I studied Computer Science at CSUF (California State University, Fullerton), every new programming class had some sort of "hello world" basic first assignment, so please consider this to be the same.

I've never really understood the point of blogging, but in recent days, I've come to see it as a digital diary and an opportunity to pull my thoughts out of my brain and place them somewhere.  I'm too lazy to write it out by hand, so here we are.  I've always been lousy at keeping a diary, so we'll see how frequently I update this, but at the moment I have a million thoughts floating about, so that should keep me busy for at least a short while and perhaps long enough for this to become a habit.

I'll close by explaining the title of this blog: Closing Doors and Opening Windows.  The past couple of years have been very difficult for my husband (Big S) and I.  Big S was laid off in December 2008, after 1.5 years of trying to get pregnant I had a miscarriage in March 2009, I was then laid off the following month, then the bad luck continued when a few weeks later, my cat that I had raised from birth was hit by a car and killed.  I was sad and miserable for a long time at so much loss in such a short time period, but the saying about time healing all wounds has always proven true for me, though I disagree that they are healed, rather, the pain is lessened.  We were the poorest I've ever been in my life, to the point of having a family member buying groceries for us each week.  Bad times....

So many doors were not just closing, but slamming in our faces that it was difficult to see the point of waking up in the morning.  BUT, all that time on our hands gave Big S and I the chance to spend quality time together, and those of you who are on FaceBook know that we now have a 3 month old and an evolving relationship as a result.  I had the opportunity for fertility testing that resulted in the most wonderful baby I could have possibly asked for.  I learned that I need very little in the way of "stuff" to be happy, so I have become more frugal and choosy about my purchases.  For all those closing doors, many windows were left open for me and I thank the Universe for them daily.

In our deepest sorrow it is difficult to believe that there are any windows, but with some time to start healing and a spark of positive attitude that gains momentum, we can usually begin to feel the draft.

2 comments:

  1. I love your first post! You will never be sorry to have blogged. I recommend you print them from time to time and keep them for that little angel of yours...I KNOW (as a daughter of a mother that wrote faithfully in a journal and is now gone as you know...that SHE will want to read them someday! Over and over). I love you. Don't children erase, lessen or whatever you want to call it...so much of the pain and hurt we have struggled through in life. I wish you and I lived closer. I just know we were friends before we came to earth. Love you! Love Busy Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks! You're right, I'll have to print them up every now and then and save them somewhere for her later (in case teh interwebs explodes, lol). I love you too! Yes, the joy of children does seem to make the world a better place to live in. The flipside also applies for me though, I have become FAR more cautious than I ever used to be. We've always gotten on so well, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if we hung out before we got here ;-).

    ReplyDelete