Sunday 10 July 2011

Bzzz Goes The Bee!! (part 2 - coasters)

First off, welcome to our new followers!!  *wave*

In May, when I decided to integrate sewing for fun and sewing for profit, the first things I decided to make were placemats.  I hoped to add matching coasters to the mix, so I've started working on a "pattern".  I'm the type of person that does a lot of trial and error when creating, and my coasters are no different!  Let me tell you, the 1st coaster I made was definitely the error.  This picture shows it in even worse shape because it's been well used by Big S and in need of a wash.


I used a diagonal pattern for the quilting, but it just ended up making it too thin in the center intersection, and really, when you're making a coaster, you want at least a little bit of thickness.  Also, mitered corners are IMPOSSIBLE for me on such a small working space.  Lastly, I tried to do a fancy stitch to secure the binding to the front and there was just too much fabric to go through for a decorative stitch.

The next version kept the diagonal quilting, but changed shapes from square to round, thus removing an obstacle from my coaster happiness.  The 3rd and final version is the one I'm happiest with and I fortunately have 2 of these.  This was my 1st attempt at freehand quilting.  If you have ever considered using a freehand quilt foot, DO IT!!  It's a total blast!!  I simply drew on the swirly pattern that I wanted to try out, turned off the feed dogs on the machine, and got started!  It's not perfect, because it requires a fair bit of practice to have even and fluid stitches, but I'm so pleased with the outcome:  a unique quilting design and nice puffy quilting to cushion our lovely cups of tea.


So, in general, I have my pattern/plan established for future matching coasters.  The only change that I intend to make is creating a slightly larger circle so that more fabric peeks out from underneath your cuppa.  I'm strongly thinking of making my 1st tutorial to cover making these coasters, so any input or requests are always welcome.

Go go, be crafty!  Be well and have fun!  ~Cecily

No comments:

Post a Comment