Thursday 7 July 2011

Bzzz Goes The Bee!! (and other zippy matters)

I haven’t made much time for blogging recently, or facebook for that matter (gasp!) because I’ve been trying to be productive with the sewing machine and finish up some projects that I’ve had going.  I’ve also been busy with Little S, as well as Big S who has been down with a nasty virus for nearly 2 months (don’t worry, he’s on the mend after 2 days in the hospital having nearly every test under the sun done).

My mom started teaching me how to sew when I was about 8 years old.  I used to help her make our Renaissance costumes and the 1st things I was allowed to sew were the straight seams on circle skirts.  I then graduated to rolled hems and I was absolutely thrilled with this new responsibility.  My mom showed me everything she knew how to do…but she didn’t really “do” zippers.  1st off, zippers weren’t period, but I can remember my mom slaving away at the sewing machine using curse words that, to this day, I don’t believe exist…all over a silly zipper.  As a result, I’ve ALWAYS had an aversion to zippers.  I’ve considered trying to conquer them from time to time, but would change my mind when I walked past them in the store and heard them laughing and mocking me.  WELL, I have finally done it; I have befriended the zipper.  I can hear them cheering me on now as I pass their little display unit in the store.  If you are like I was, and have a hate-hate relationship with zippers, please have a look at the tutorial that rescued me and be sure to let me know how it works out for you.  For my zippy pouch, I chose to use a fabric with metallic flecks that reminds me of the ocean.  It is lined with an upcycled pair of boxer shorts (yes, I washed them 1st).


That’s all I have time for tonight, but I have a few more projects to share with you, so stay tuned to this space!  As always, be good and have fun!                 

No comments:

Post a Comment